If your kids are in fall sports, it may mean you need to get them in for some chiropractic care!
It’s finally beginning to feel more like fall, and with school back in session, fall sports are in full swing. You may be thinking that we are referring to football here, but the reality is that many fall sports put significant demands on kids’ bodies, and chiropractic care can help. Adjustments can not only ease pain caused by injury, but they can also help to prevent injury, and alignments can help to prevent lingering issues that may not cause pain until later in life.
Here are some interesting facts to consider:
- According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, more than 3.5 million children ages 14 and younger get hurt annually playing sports or participating in recreational activities.
- Most organized sports-related injuries (62 percent) occur during practice.
- In recent years, the number of ER visits caused by basketball is actually greater than those caused by football.
- Although you may think that soccer players experience knee and ankle injuries, you might be surprised to know that more than 22% of injuries in soccer are head injuries.
- A recent study determined that 20% of children participating in distance running experienced injury.
Preventing children and young adults from playing sports is not the answer. Participating in organized sports in middle and high school has many benefits. Of course, children have the opportunity to develop physical skills. Sports participation has also proven to have a positive impact on academic success, development of self-discipline and other life skills, and self-confidence.
How can you offset the risk of injury?
Chiropractic care can help in a number of ways.
- Regular chiropractic visits help to ensure that the body is in alignment. This aids in preventing injuries caused by over-use or a quick twist. If we look at the body as a machine, it is the same as getting performing maintenance on a vehicle. Identifying and addressing minor issues with how the machine is put together can work to prevent injury and downtime down the road.
- Following injury, chiropractic care can aid in the body’s healing process. Chiropractic care can put the student-athlete back in the game sooner rather than later. Chiropractic care following a concussion can correct the neck injury caused by the concussion. This allows the central nervous system to be restored to proper functioning in a more timely manner.
About Keystone Chiropractic
As an engineer, Dr. Schurger looks at the whole body as a system to determine what is best for each patient. Custom spinal imaging is performed for each patient in order to create a custom correction. Dr. Schurger has transformed himself through the ketogenic diet and offers nutritional advice to help patients improve their overall health (weight loss being a side effect). His practice, Keystone Chiropractic is at 450 S. Durkin Drive, Ste. B, Springfield. Call 217-698-7900 to setup a complementary consultation to see if he can help you!